Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Most Common Questions/Comments about the DCP

Alright, so I have told several people that I know that I am participating in the Disney College Program. And I usually get the same questions and/or comments from them. So I thought I would share those questions/comments and my answers to them.

Q: Awesome! What character will you be?
A: I will actually be working an attraction. So I won't be a character I'll be working one of the rides! But I'm so excited to be doing that :)
*A lot of people immediately think that I will be character. Which I have no issues with. I just wish people understood that an extremely limited amount of people who work at Disney do anything with entertainment.

Q: So you're going to be going to the parks and will have no school for 5 months? Sounds like the life...
A: Actually I'll be working at the parks during the majority of my time down there. And I'll be taking a class down there as well. But I will hopefully have some time to spend in the park, and hang out with some friends!
*I personally hate this comment. Some people unfortunately believe that I will be down in Florida to screw around for 5 months. But this is an internship, I am the bottom of the food chain and will be working constantly. Sadly some people don't understand that; but it's okay because I know what I will really be doing!

Q: So are you, like, getting paid to do this?
A: Yes.

Q: OMG!!!!! You are going to Disneyland?!?!?! How much fun will that be?!?! DON'T YOU JUST LOVE DISNEYLAND AND CALIFORNIA!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!
A: I'm glad you're so excited for me! Thanks :) But I'll actually be going to Walt Disney World, in Florida. It'll be really great though :)
*I hate correcting people when they say Disneyland. So I usually won't correct them, unless they go into detail about the parks, California, the rides, etc.

Q: Wow that sounds like fun! How did you apply? What is the DCP?
A: Yeah, I think it'll be great! I applied through the DCP website (click here). Basically it is a semester long internship at either the Disneyland or Walt Disney World Resort. You work for the Disney company in their parks or resorts and can possibly get internship credit through your school for doing this!

Begin rant:

This is important, I really want to make sure people understand this. This internship is a job. You will be constantly working. So if you just want to hop on the bandwagon and get free park admission, meet new people, and make some fantastic memories, that's great! But don't apply or accept this opportunity if you aren't willing to work for the extra's. College program kids are the low of the low. Some people go as far to say that we are Disney's slaves. We have minimal pay and work long hours. Expect it and accept it, and you should be fine.

End Rant!!!

If any of you have questions about the DCP, Disney, or whatever please ask!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Reading this makes me laugh a little. I'm here on the Fall program. Relax! The DCP honestly is about fun and meeting new people. I honestly go to the parks every morning before work and stay afterwards. It's not uncommon to be at park open and hurry off to work and then stop by MK for Wishes. One of my roommates works at 7 am every morning, and we still stay up hanging out till 3 am. Work is a blast. To be honest this program isn't really about the work. It has been the single best experience of my life. Just relax and have fun. :D I added my Facebook link if you want to add me and ask me questions. Get excited!! Also, about check-in day from your other post. You can't actually go inside Vista until 7. But you form the line outside fine. They can't move you because it's public property. We got there 3:30 am and were about 30 people in front of us. One thing to be aware. We were planning on a 3 bedroom in Chatham. But many of the options are gone depending on availability. We were apparently the first people asking for Chatham but for that check in they only had 4 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms. We upgraded and it was the best decision ever. So yah. FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thank you so much for saying that! I am anticipating working and hoping that it'll be a great work environment, but I also pkan to meet some amazing new people and have a ton of fun! I am really excited to do the DCP, and glad to hear that you've been having so much fun :) Yeah I think my roommates and I are planning on arriving anyway which will hopefully work out well.

    ReplyDelete